Tech Sheet for Pansies
Fred Hulme, PH.D., Technical Service, ICL Specialty Fertilizer
Overall comments on Pansies:
• Pansies are not very demanding if root-zone pH’s are maintained below
• Adequate Magnesium and Iron will ensure dark green foliage.
• Pansies require higher levels of Boron to prevent growing point disorders.
• Avoid high Phosphorous formulations to avoid stretch.
100% Water soluble fertilizer (WSF) program:
• Ideally fertilizer selection should be based on a current water analysis
(contact your ICL representative for more details).
• A good general program would be Peters Excel® 15-2-20 Pansy, Salvia,
Vinca Special at 100 to 125 ppm N on a constant basis.
• Commence feeding at planting or as soon as plugs are rooted in.
• WSF applications should be reduced several weeks before shipping – switch
to Peters Professional® 15-0-15 at 75 ppm N.
100% Controlled release fertilizer (CRF) program:
• Osmocote® Bloom (2-3 mo. at 70°F in N. zones/ 5-6 mo. at 70°F in S. zones)
incorporated at 3 to 5.5 lbs. per cu. yard.
• Media should be used within 2 to 3 weeks after mixing in CRF.
• Select a longer term product to extend feeding in the garden center and to
help plants establish in the landscape.
Combination fertilizer program:
• Osmocote® Bloom (2-3 mo. at 70°F in N. zones/ 5-6 mo. at 70°F in S.
zones) incorporated at 2 to 4 lbs. per cu. yard.
• A good WSF product would be Peters Excel® 15-2-20 Pansy, Salvia, Vinca
Special at 50 to 75 ppm N on a constant basis.
• Add Magnesium in form of Peters Excel® Magnitrate 10-0-0 at 4 oz. per
100 gallons on a constant basis if Mg is lacking in program.
• Apply a medium rate of H2Pro® liquid before shipping to help prevent
wilting in the post-harvest phase.
• Use higher nitrate N formulations to avoid ammonium toxicity (V shaped
foliar chlorosis and downward cupping leaves).
• Weekly drenches of Boron at 0.25 ppm (from Borax) can prevent